giggle patching

Uhoh. I had to do some hurried patching on Giggle yesterday when I tried to add the latest gig I went to and found it wouldn’t work. It seems my last set of updates caused a couple of problems that I hadn’t spotted. The first problem was entirely my own fault. Due to my caching […]

canvas table overlay

One of the (many) problems with Javascript Canvas is that it doesn’t have a way of rendering text. Some people have tried to work around this using absolute positioned DIVs, but since I want to display tabular data for an app I am working on, I have been trying it by overlaying a table instead. […]

canvas gotcha

I was learning to use Javascript Canvas recently, but was almost stumped by a little issue with sizing the thing. In Firefox 2 at least it looks like the canvas size needs to be set on the canvas tag. When I applied a width and height with CSS, it just resulted in the whole canvas […]

some javascript hacking

My Currency Graph page now features javascript rendering of the graph, largely thanks to the excellent flot library. (I’m using the SVN version to get time scale handling). In theory the page will degrade gracefully to use server-side images if the browser doesn’t support <canvas>, but I don’t have a browser which does javascript without […]

running to stand still

I spent a busy evening working on updates and fixes to Giggle, with the end result of several hours hacking being… no apparent change as far as the user is concerned. Sigh. The motivation for this seemingly pointless exercise was when I started trying to run the development version of the system locally and it […]

more currency exchange fixes

Yuk, I had to do some more fixing of my currency exchange application. The small change I mentioned at the end of my last post was not implemented quite right, so I tweaked it. Then I noticed that when you drag currencies to the color bar, sometimes the graph was showing them in a different […]

currency exchange fixes

I have had some trouble recently with my Currency graph site. The data for this site comes from an email subscription I have to an xe.com daily feed. The emails were identified by Procmail on my server, and piped into a script which parses them and inserts the rates into the database. The initial problem […]

ruter project

I forgot to mention, my device control system software is now in a public subversion repository http://svn.ordoacerbus.com/ruter/trunk/ I’m afraid it has no setup/installation script or instructions at the moment, perhaps that’s something I’ll have to work on.

currency graphing

Over the weekend I did some long-awaited work on my exchange rate graph application. The most obvious change is that you can now choose a range of dates rather than always getting all the data. I decided to have just a fixed set of ranges to choose from, since it does what most people should […]

Giggle 2 Search Caching

Finally, time for my third article about caching in my ‘Giggle 2’ project. The last part was about Fragment Caching, while this part is about my changes for Search Caching.To recap: the search page in the application presents some problems that are not entirely addressed by the ‘standard’ caching behaviour in Rails. Users can enter […]